Renewable energy plant. Green initiatives. Merit modular approach.
Merit was contracted to provide off-site prefabrication of the pipe spools and onsite installation of the mechanical systems for this £24m biomass fired powered plant in Scotland.
- Generates 5 MWe to National Grid.
- Carbon pipework for low temp steam up to 600mm.
- Included both high pressure steam @ 125 barge pressure 100% NDT and low pressure steam @10b 10% NDT.
Balcas is a leading timber products supplier, and has pioneered biomass renewable energy in the British Isles.
Balcas operates biomass Combined Heat and Power plants that produce renewable energy. Residual heat from electricity generation is used to dry locally sourced woodfibre that is then processed into high-energy fuel pellets – marketed under the company's brites brand, displacing 750 million litres of oil in homes, commercial premises and industry.
Balcas is a Northern Ireland based company specialising in the production of Brites (Balcas branded wood pellets) and constructed a £24m Bio Mass Fired Power Plant at Invergordon, Scotland.
Merit provided off-site prefabrication of the pipe spools and onsite installation of the systems including testing and commissioning.
Merit Scope of Works:
- All mechanical systems
- High pressure steam system
- 125 barge pressure Pressure
- 8” Heavy Wall Chrome Moly pipework for High Temperature steam
- Carbon pipework for Low Temperature Steam up to 600mm diameter
- De-Superheater valves
- 100% NDT
- Condensate recovery system
- Condensate - low temp and high temp
- Sea water cooling system
Off site prefabrication was used extensively with the pipework spools and modules fabricated in our 270,000ft² offsite manufacturing facility in the North East of England. These were then transported to site for installation by the Merit team. This reduced onsite labour requirements and costs, and improved quality and health and safety.