Regenerating London. Building an energy centre. Power on!
Merit delivered an energy centre to serve the expansion of Westfield Shopping centre in London as well as over 1000 homes nearby.
- Extensive use of 3D modelling for clash detection and fully coordinated model.
- Off-site prefabrication allowed just in time deliveries to suit the constraints of this central London site.
- Partial commissioning off-site for mechanical plant reduced on site commissioning period.
Merit was responsible for the design, management, labour, materials, plant and supervision of the project. The scope of works for the design and build contract included:
- Design, manufacture, supply, offloading, positioning and installation, commissioning and testing of the new Energy Centre
- Boilers/CHP flue installation
- Connection of roof-mounted cooling towers and the over-ground district heating and cooling network connection to retail heating and cooling substations, residential heating substations and residential cooling stations
This contract to install a new energy centre at Westfield Shopping Centre involved close working with E.ON to deliver a combined approach.
EON free issued the main plant and equipment such as thermal stores, CHP, cooling towers and chillers. Merit is supplying and installing the pipework, boilers, buffer vessels and controls.
A key part of our role was ratifying the design for EON and working with them to identify opportunities for savings and longevity of the pipework infrastructure.
The 1,000m² primary energy centre incorporated a 197m² mezzanine level extended into the proposed site at podium level over Ariel Way/H-Junction roundabout, complete with two levels of basement and retail levels above ground. The site area towards the east and west of the site comprised the residential development. There were nine blocks in total, all of which were provided with energy from the new Energy Centre.